My Trade Proposal - Trade Spiers to Bosox for Teel

• 0 Replies

JaxRed

• View Profile
My Trade Proposal - Trade Spiers to Bosox for Teel
« on: March 07, 2024, 08:31:31 AM »
This trade proposal was generated in my head yesterday after the stellar performance of Spiers in the game against SD. 4 shutout innings, 3 hits, 5 K's, 0 walks.  2.08 ERA. He now has an 11/1 strikeout to walk ratio which is starting to validate his 20/1 ratio in Az Fall Lg.  In other words.... I think he's legit.

So let's trade him!!!

The Reds have an abundance of starting pitching.  Which is good. We have Lodolo, Ashcraft, Greene, Montas, Abbott, Williamson, Spiers, Phillips and Richardson who could step in tomorrow and pitch. That wasn't including Martinez who could start but I count as a reliever.  That's 9 (10 with Martinez).

And then in AA you'll have Petty and (it appears) Lowder.  The bottom line is you can deal from strength to solve a position of organizational weakness and that is catcher.

Boston just lost Lucas Giolito who they signed to a 2 year 38.5 million dollar for the year with UCL tear.  They need starters, my proposal is to trade Spiers  (Or Williamson or Abbott) along with their choice of Fairchild or Barrero for Kyle Teel, the catcher they took in the 1st round last year.

Spiers, Abbott, and Williamson are on the 2nd tier of starters in my mind.  I'd probably prefer to trade Spiers but I'd offer any of the 3 to BoSox. My guess is they'd prefer Abbott or Williamson.

We are going to probably have to lose Barrero or Fairchild anyway at the end of spring training because both are out of options. If they have a preference for one over the other, fine.  Fairchild is doing much better this year so far.  But we are talking about filling a RH OF backup role, and if Barrero slumps we have Hinds and Dunn waiting in the wings.

If needed a sweetner could be a minor league catcher like Nelson or Trautwein.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 08:55:13 AM by JaxRed »