Minor League Game Thread for Wednesday, July 28, 2021

• 12 Replies
Minor League Game Thread for Wednesday, July 28, 2021
« on: July 28, 2021, 02:34:13 PM »
Louisville - 7:38 PM EDT - 27-45 - It is dark, and getting darker. 8 straight losses for the Bats. Question of the moment: What does a parent club (Cincinnati) owe to an affiliate club (Louisville)? Does it owe the franchise a competitive team? This will be Louisville's ninth consecutive losing season. Over that span, the highest they have finished is sixth. Is that enough? Is that acceptable? Typically finishing third or fourth out of four teams in the Western Division, Louisville did not again qualify for the Governors' Cup playoffs after 2010. Personally, if I lived in the Louisville area, I wouldn't attend any games to see that mess of a team play. The teams and its fans deserve more support. I would agree with that statement. In any case, as long as the Reds are the parent club, there will be hard times for Bats fans. Reiver Sanmartin (3.93) is the designated stopped tonight. I have no idea how Sanmartin rates as a prospect, I do know that he gets people out. In 379.2 minor league innings, his ERA is 3.13. His yearly ERAs since 2016 are as follows: 2.35/2.45/2.81/4.05/2.75. Here is a new name for you - Jan Hernandez. Seems like he is the newest Louisville Bat. He is a 26-year-old, switch-hitting outfielder that has bounced around quite a bit. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2013 by Philadelphia. In 2021, he has been playing independent ball out in Kansas City, compiling excellent numbers. The only scouting report that I could find was from 2013, so forget that. I will close by simply saying, I hope Jan Hernandez is not in the Dec of his career.

Re: Minor League Game Thread for Wednesday, July 28, 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 04:35:07 PM »
Chattanooga 7:00 PM EDT - 38-32 - Pardon me, boys, are you the Chattanooga Lookouts? A baseball nine, you're doing just fine. Glenn Miller would be proud. Fine, indeed. They smoked the Smokies last night 4-3. Tonight, they send their erstwhile ace, Nick Lodolo (1.58) to the mound. His numbers are exemplary all across the board. My crystal ball tells me that this will be his last start for the Lookouts. I have absolutely nothing to base that upon but a hunch. I don't see what more he needs to show the folks in management. He has pretty much overmatched AA since the start of the season. Brian Rey sputtered when first booted up to Chattanooga (21 games - .561 OPS), but has since caught on to how the game is played at this level, OPSing a solid .872 over the next 21 contests. He has hit safely in 19 of those 21 games. He has a little pop in his stick, swatting 9 home runs in 55 games this season. Julio Pinto has BEAN placed on the IL. The Lookouts groundskeeper is searching for a couple of people to join the grounds crew. That's a bucket list employment opportunity.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 05:22:02 PM »
Dayton - 7:05 PM EDT - 39-33 - The Dragons were shackled with a 4-run deficit in the first inning, courtesy of rehabbing Michael Feliz, and never quite could dig their way out. Tonight, there will be no rehabbing handicap to overcome. Eduardo Salazar (4:15) will be dealing down and dirty all night long. His last outing, against the Tin Cappers of Fort Wayne, was quite possibly his best of the season, as it saw him strike out 10 in just 6 innings. He shut out tonight's opponent over six innings in his only start against them this season. I have no idea what this means, but Noah Davis has been sent to the Rockies organization. Okay, I guess that means he has been traded. LOL. Duh! Francisco Urbaez homered last night, and it was an inside-the-parker. The ball bounced off some part of the wall of which I am not familiar with, and Urbaez was off to the races. The Mythical First Half Division Title: The Dragons were the winners of the “Mythical First Half” East Division title as the midpoint of the season concluded with games on Sunday. Not that that means anything, since the league is not using the split-season format in 2021. Hang a banner anyway. Reliever Matt Gill over his last five appearances: 2-0, 9.2 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 10 SO, 1.86 ERA. Following the trend in organized baseball: Starters have pitched 320 innings to a 4.58. Relievers have worked 292.2 innings to a 5.23 ERA. The Dragons have one lefty in the pen, and 9 righties. If relievers are working more and more innings, while starters work fewer and fewer, does that make relievers more valuable commodities?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 05:42:32 PM by CombatWombat »

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 06:02:50 PM »
Daytona - 7:05 PM EDT - 35-38 - Daytona is creeping up on the .500 mark, and with last night's win they are just 3 games below that line. Jason Parker (3.71) will keep pushing the team forward tonight. Parker is on fire during the month of July. Over 17 innings, he has fanned 23 while walking just 3 hitters. His Era is a miniscule 1.59 during the month. In case you were wondering, according to the Urban Dictionary, 'scule' lies somewhere between 'puny' and 'nano'. Parker had a rough two-game stretch in mid-June. Aside from that, he has allowed 2 earned runs or less in each of his other 10 starts. Most strikeouts in a game for a Tortugian hurler is 11 by Bryce Bonnin. That was probably the best start from any one down on the farm in 2021. Bonnin retired all 15 opposing hitters that night, 11 on strikes. Daytona has used 50 players this season to date: 22 position, 28 pitchers. Daniel Vellojin has walked (43) more times than he has struck out (42). For his career, Vellojin has gunned down 39% of all would-be stealers. He is even better in 2021 at 46%. With the trade of Case Williams, Elly De La Cruz becomes the youngest turtle.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 07:46:59 PM »
My mistake on the Chattanooga pitcher. Lodolo did pitch 5 days ago, but he did not get the call. Mac Sceroler did. Patience, Nick. Tomorrow night will be your night to shine.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 09:03:31 PM »
Daytona - Postponed.

Louisville - The game was tied after four innings. But, now Louisville has erupted for 4 runs in the top of the 5th, and are still batting.

Reiver Sanmartin has given up a solo home run in his four innings.

Jose Barrero has two hits so far, including his 6th home run as a Bat. That makes 11 total for the season for Jose. Dave Edmunds wrote a song about this, 'I hear you knocking'.
Chris Okey hit his second dinger on the year, and has his average up to .235.
TJ Friedl tripled.
Alejo Lopez and Braxton Lee have each contributed a double.

Chattanooga - The Lookouts jumped out to a quick 3-run lead, but the Smokies answered with a 4-run third. That's where the game stands as they stretch in the 7th.

Mac Sceroler was roughed up for the 4 runs.
Miguel Figueroa and Michael Byrne have each worked a scoreless frame.

Offensively, not much doing for Chattanooga.

Wilson Garcia cranked out home run number 6.
Chuckie Robinson has a pair of singles.

Dayton - Dayton has pitched well, but their hitting is lagging a bit. They trail by a run, 2-1 in the sixth.

Eduardo Salazar went 5.2 IP, and is responsible for both runs.

James Free has doubled twice.
Garrett Wolforth has singled and tripled.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 09:16:43 PM by CombatWombat »

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 10:06:25 PM »
Louisville has scored 15 runs over the last 3 innings.  :o :o :o :o

JaxRed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 10:13:20 PM »
I got concerned when I saw the Lookouts score thinking Lodolo got hit.  So sorry Mac, was relieved to see it was you.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 10:14:57 PM »
Chattanooga Recap - The game was 4-3 after 3 innings, and both bullpens kept it that way. Lookouts lose 4-3.

Mac Sceroler was reached for all four runs over five innings.
Figueroa, Byrne and Demurias each blanked Tennessee for one innings. Demurias sees his ERA fall to 1.61.

Drew Mount walked twice (OPS - .866).
Wilson Garcia singled, homered (6), while driving home 2 runs.
Robbie Tenerowicz legged out an infield single in his only at-bat. He must have hurt himself, as he was lifted for a pinch runner.
Chuckie Robinson singled twice, and has quietly compiled an OPS of .816. He started off 2021 slowly with an OPS of .623 in May. June (.884) and July (.891) have been much, much better.

JaxRed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 10:19:10 PM »
At one point it all seemed so clear. As soon as Barrero showed he could hit AAA pitching, he'd come up to replace the struggling Farmer.  Except Farmer ain't struggling anymore.

Crosses my mind..... wonder what Barerra would do in CF?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:45:33 AM by JaxRed »

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 10:19:20 PM »
Louisville -Alex Blandino started his rehab stint tonight, going 1 for 2, before being lifted in the 5th inning.

Jose Barrero is stating his case tonight: 4 for 5, 4 runs scored, 6 driven in. He has singled twice, doubled and homered (6)

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 12:05:23 AM »
Dayton - The Dragons come out on top in a 5-4 affair with Lake County.

Odd pitching night for Dayton.
Eduardo Salazar left the game up 1-0, but was eventually charged with 2 runs as both of the runners he left on base came on to score.
Andy Gill was not charged with any runs, but blew his first save on the year.
Next up was John Ghyzel. He also earned a blown save (2) despite not giving up a hit (3 walks), but was credited with the win.
Francisco Peguero allowed a run in his inning on the mound, but got the save (5).

Francisco Urbaez collected two hits. This is a recording. He singled and doubled.
Garrett Wolforth singled and tripled.
James Free doubled twice and walked.
Miguel Hernandez singled, doubled and walked.
Jacob Hurtubise singled, doubled and was hit by a pitch.

Dragons defenders turned 4 double plays tonight.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 12:20:10 AM »
Louisville - The offense exploded for 17 runs on 17 hits in a 17-5 laugher over the Iowa Cubs.

Reiver Sanmartin went the front five giving up a run, while dropping his ERA to 3.66.
Matt Pidich, recently called up from Chattanooga where he was routinely abused, has now made 3 appearances for Louisville, and has yet to give up an earned run in 4.1 IP.
Brandon Finnegan had his 11-game unscored upon streak come crashing to a halt courtesy a 3-run jack.
Phillip Diehl was reached for a solo shot in the 9th.

Alejo Lopez doubled twice and drew 2 free passes.
Jose Barrero went 4 for 5. Single, single, double and homer run (6). He scored four times and drove home 6. He also stole a base (4), because....why not?
TJ Friedl tripled, walked and was beaned.
Michael De Leon singled twice and homered (5). He is 8 for his last 17.
Alfredo Rodriguez singled twice and doubled.
Chris Okey homered (2) and walked 3 times. Okey is tearing the cover off of the baseball in July to the tune of a .993 OPS.

And, somehow, in the midst of this offensive explosion, newcomer Jan Hernandez went 0 for 6, striking out 3 times.